Today has been long that would be why Caroline is sitting on the couch watching Little Einsteins and Owen is half watching/ half playing. We don't normally do tv in the afternoon, but some days call for it.
Started around 11:40 as I was fixing Owen and myself lunch and my cell phone rings. Odd. I answer and it is Caroline's school telling me they have had an incident and Caroline chocked on a grape, passed out and they had to call the paramedics and fire (they are trained medically and often the first responders in an emergency - we have experience in this). I am in tears and race myself and Owen to school to go pick her up.
Caroline seems okay except very upset and tired. Bring her home and Matt comes home for lunch to say hi and check on Caroline. Realize she is not just warm from being upset because 45 minutes later she is still burning up. Take temp - 101.9. Call doctor they tell me to bring her in just to check her out. The doctor does a strep test and also thinks she feels warm. They take her temp and it is now up to 103.4. Strep test negative. Doctor says probably unrelated.
Take her to get a milkshake (it makes her throat feel better, esp after a strep test!). Start thinking. Need to talk to her teacher. Now it gets interesting. Caroline was slumped over on a another girl in the time it took her to turn around for a second to throw something away. She was limp and groaning. (Odd if you are choking) Teeth were clenched. Then when they tried to swipe the food out she was biting anyone who put fingers in her mouth. I am thinking she was actually having another febrile seizure.
Days like these are so tough. They remind me that as tough as these little ones are - falling down and scrapping up knees, they really are so fragile and at times are only moments from leaving us. If someone more serious had happened I don't know how I would have gotten through it. So, I am now in tears writing this and thinking about this morning. I can say with certainty this Mother's Day I will appreciated not only all the smiles and sweets laughs but every scream and whine.
I hope everyone has a great weekend - I am going to go hug and kiss on Caroline and Owen!
3 comments:
Oh, warm hugs your way...sorry to hear about Caroline! I didn't even know what febrile seizures were but I just looked it up. It seems to make my long day seem less important (since I just had to deal with adult stuff and no one got hurt in the process, I just got annoyed). I hope that Caroline is feeling better soon!! Give her extra hugs...I hear that those help!
Actually I take that back..I got hurt, I put a staple through the edge of my finger (I will tell the full story later in my blog) but that is really nothing that a bandaid didn't fix!
XOXO to Caroline.
Post a Comment