Of dirty diapers and kids who do not want to nap. Lots of fun, especially since I am alone while Matt is off getting wined and dined in Syracuse and then heads to Chicago to hang out with some friends and then attend a brief meeting tomorrow. Yesterday and today he was with an alcohol distributer so they have been drinking fairly heavily and started lunch today around 11:30 that included a wine tasting (dinner was straight liquor tasting) - one champagne, 3 whites, 3 reds to be exact. We had Chick-Fil-A and went with some lemonade back at the house. The company also gave everyone an ipod touch and is shipping some wine home to everyone. So, I guess I kind of win since the itouch will keep Matt off my iphone and he will share the wine with me. He claims he did not drink all of it today (or last night). If I had been there I probably would have asked for a cup to finish any extra on the ride to the airport. I miss working in sales.
Anyways, this does bring up something I have been wanting to discuss. Playgroups. People always seem surprised when they find out that we drink at the different playgroups I am in (two of them meet almost for the sole purpose of mom's have a drink). I have to say, I don't know if I could handle being around that many kids and not having a drink. Caroline knows all about mommy's wine and daddy's beer and that sometimes daddy has wine and very rarely mommy has a beer. Yes, it can be embarrassing when at Target she sees the beer and insists that "daddy needs more brown beer" or at Cheesecake Factory she looks at the bar and says "mommy they have lots of wine here". I consider her educated and well rounded and then quickly change the subject. I guess I grew up around alcohol (although not over the tipping point) and think it is an adult beverage that should be enjoyed - in moderation around children. I think it really is a matter of teaching them that some things are for adults and some things are not. It is important for kids to know that there is a big difference between adults and kids. This is probably one of the easiest ways to show it to her because there is never a temptation to let her try or do something "just this one time".
Okay, need to go switch some laundry and deal with Caroline and Owen. Caroline has gone to the bathroom no less then eight times in the last hour and twenty minutes (what is suppose to be quiet time) and Owen has only slept for 25 minutes and has been fussing on and off. He probably hears Caroline going to the bathroom every 5 minutes and cannot sleep. Hopefully this will change this weekend when Owen moves into the other bedroom upstairs and if Caroline does not want to sleep she can have quiet time in the extra bedroom downstairs.
4 comments:
Do I detect a little bit of jealousy today in not getting wined and dined?
A little bit? I think not. Try quite a bit.
Yeah, I would miss that part too!!
I think that you are right about the alcohol..it was never taboo in my house but we also knew that we didn't like the taste of the beer daddy had at the lake and mommy got sleepy after dinners with wine. When we got older we asked to try it but it isn't anything a kid likes. I think that any time parents make something taboo kids just want it more....it is kind of true for adults too.
Per our other conversation, I gave you some ad love :-) Enjoy!
That is TOO funny. Alcohol was always around my house too...I didn't even drink til I hit college, I think it's because my parents DIDN'T make it taboo.
I went to the J Crew outlet today as a matter of fact but didn't get ANYTHING. They had all the samples there but they're all in a size 6. If you can think of anything you want in a 6, I'll be happy to pick it up, the deals looked pretty good!
Post a Comment