Thursday, August 14, 2008

Teacher update

Thanks for all the responses to my other post. It was nice to know that I am not being irrational to think it is a bad thing for the kids.

Drena & Molly - I hate using this phrase, but... I am sure you will understand one day. Kids really pick up on things quickly and like to know who to expect and when. They don't understand timing and different days of the week all the way. Caroline knows the days of the week and that on weekends daddy is home, but not the spacing (if that makes sense) i.e. she knew she went to school on M/W/F last year, but every morning would ask if she had school that day. It could be really confusing not knowing what to expect every day when she walks into school and could be really bad if she really likes/dislikes one set and decides she will only go when she likes the teachers that day.

The update: Talked to the asst director today and ALL the rumors ARE TRUE. They did not have enough t/th kids registered so classes are just all combined and complicated. The t/th kids are with the m-th kids and the m-f kids are with the m/w/th/f kids. The m-th and t/th are safe and have the same two teachers the entire week. The m/w/th/f and m-f kids will have one teacher the same the entire week and then one teacher is there on m/w/f and another on t/th. Not the best scenario, BUT I have heard really good things about the teacher there all week and the Caroline already knows the one that will only be there on Thursdays for her. She had her for summer camp and loved her.

The problem is that they offer several different class options, but do not actually know which classes (i.e. how many at each age) until registration and the 3's is a really popular year. This year there were no openings after priority registration ended. So, thinking on it. While I am not happy with it I am wondering if Caroline will even really mind. I guess if it is a problem during the year I can always bring it up again.

7 comments:

Rebecca said...

This sounds complicated. So they have a 2 day (T/Th), a 3 day (M/W/F), two 4 days (M-Th and M/W/Th/F), and a 5 day (M-F)? Wow. No wonder they can't keep all that straight. Our school just has one class for each age, and you tell them when you want to come (and pay accordingly, of course - but it has to be the same days every week...unless you want to pay for days you don't actually come). I guess it's basically structured around M-F schedules (since that's the majority of the kids) and if you choose not to send your child every day, he/she just misses out on what was covered that day.

Keep us posted on how it all works out. When does she start?

Mollypants said...

don't worry, I'm not offended, I just had no idea and was curious. I can see where at that age, "tomorrow" and "two days from now" are just grouped together in their mind as "not yet" and the only way things happen is through routine :) Again, I wouldn't know, so I completely understand!
It all sounds so incredibly complicated. Good luck!

Mollypants said...

I FINALLY FIGURED IT OUT. (I think)...are there two teachers in each classroom? And teacher 1 is always there, but teacher 2 could be Mrs A or Mrs B, depending on the day? Is she at least in the same ROOM every day?

Meredith said...

Well, it's not ideal, but it's not too bad... especially since one of the teachers will be in there week! I'm sure Caroline will adapt and love it! :)

Mel said...

Well, I don't have kids but to throw a positive spin on it...maybe it will help her to be better about change and won't make her freak out when everything isn't the same all the time (I know some kids do that). And, even though it is not an every day routine, it will still be a routine where she will know that some days it will be teacher A and sometimes teacher B and if she likes them both then she will probably roll with it. The only reason I would think it would be a huge deal would be if she didn't like one of them. Then again, I don't have kids so you have through me in that group...I know kids like structure but adapting to new situations seems to be a good lesson too, no?

Hopefully it will all go well and you will have worried for nothing.

m said...

Rebecca- They only have four classes. Normally it is one each of the t/th, m/w/f, m-th, and m/w/th/f with the m-f kids in both the m/w/f and t/th classes with the same teachers in the same room (just get to do all the fun things twice!). Problem this year is no one wanted t/th and a lot of people wanted m/w/f. So, they are combining other classes to give the parents what they want. They do a really good job of adjusting the classes bases on what the current families want. It just seems we ended up on the short end of this stick.

Molly- good job on the teacher thing! Sorry it is so confusing. I guess since I am in it everyday it is just second nature.

Meredith- Thanks for the input! Nice to know a teacher agrees I am not irrational!

Mel- Yes, it may be good, but they have so many other things they are rolling with and learning at school it would be nice if they can depend on and form a relationship with the same teachers everyday. Hopefully, she will do well with it!

Carrie Davis said...

Caroline sounds like she is really well adjusted, I'm sure she'll be just fine. :) And you're right, if it doesn't work out in a month or two, all of the parents can revolt...