Monday, August 4, 2008

The great lovey hunt

Last night we had lots of excitement. After dinner we were gathering up the kids and their loveys (little blankets with animal heads on them, Caroline has a pink kitty and Owen has a brown monkey) when Matt could not find Owen's. At first I thought he just was not looking hard enough/ moving anything. Then I remembered that Owen has been squeezing it into all sorts of odd places lately - little play farmhouse, mailbox on the playhouse, purses, etc. So, I decide Matt may need my help. After about half an hour of everyone (yes, Caroline helps) looking Matt goes up to give them a bath and I keep looking. Checked everywhere - under furniture, inside kitchen cabinets, around the computer, in every basket in every room - nowhere. Finally resort to pulling out backup lovey for Owen and go up to read with everyone and get them both down for the night. Still frustrated that we cannot find lovey. Go through trash, check out front since he was out with some friends earlier, nowhere. Finally after another half hour of both checking and rechecking everywhere we end up in the guest room looking around and through everything, again. Then I spot it. Sitting on the bookcase, a box of wipes.... Yup. He had put his lovey in the box of wipes. Needed some extra innings, but I pulled out the win.

6 comments:

Mollypants said...

I think you might be the only mom I know who has a backup security (insert toy, blanket, whatever here) for their kid! What a smart idea. I'd be the mom who would say "I have no idea what you're talking about. What's lovey?" and consider it lost forever. I should probably start saving up for my kids' therapy bills right now.

Rebecca said...

That is so funny - we couldn't find froggie last night either when Zachary was going to bed! We dug under the covers (because he likes to stuff things way down in the bed). We thought we were going to have to get backup froggie out too (which Zachary doesn't know there are 2 froggies...) but then we found him - the cleaning lady had put froggie in Zachary's Easter basket (which for some reason we still have on his dresser). Whew! And I can't believe Owen's lovey is a brown monkey - that's what we got for Liam too (2 of them actually, since we learned with Zachary that you need a backup). But he hasn't quite gotten the whole lovey/monkey thing yet.

Mel said...

I wonder to what age the backup works until? My sister had a blanket that used to be a thermal type blanket with sesame street on it...I think that she could now put the shreds (yes, she still has it) in a ziplock bag it is in so many pieces...

Maybe it is a good thing that I will have kids last....so much to learn from all the great moms I already know...and you guys seem to do it so effortless!

Mollypants said...

I just started reading "Bright Shiny Morning" by James Frey, who previously wrote A Million Little Pieces. Anyway, in this new book, there's a family who has a little girl, and the book SPECIFICALLY says that she "has a well-worn blanket of sorts that she affectionately calls Lovey." I thought of y'all, because your house was the first time I've heard the term lovey.

Carrie Davis said...

Way to go Meghan! Does the back up lovey always work? It seems like they wouldn't like it as much if it wasn't as worn as the original.

m said...

Molly- When they are throwing a complete awful fit because all they want is the stuffed animal they love more then anything you quickly remember who lovey is. We have tried it numerous times.

Melissa- I compare it to gymnastics and figure skating. A lot of work goes into making it look easy.

Carrie- Having a backup does not completely work. Owen does notice a difference but will still take the alternate. Caroline went through a phase where she refused the alternate, but now can reason that it is backup or nothing.