Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Another first!

Today Caroline let us all experience another wonderful first! The first time we went to run an errand, but never even made it inside due to a temper tantrum. We went to Dick's to look at watches/watchbands since mine broke yesterday and is driving me crazy. Get Caroline out of the car, get the stroller out of the car, Caroline starts to tell me she wants to be in the stroller, "no, Owen will ride and you can push", get Owen out and put him in the stroller, Caroline starts screaming. I try to explain it is a really quick little errand and remind her how she likes to push Owen. She screams louder. People arrive and look at us with pity. I say "no" again so they know I am her mother and hope they realize I am not being mean to her, she is just mad she is not getting her way. She continues screaming. Telling me she is really tired. I explain if she does not stop crying we are going home and she is going to bed. Still screaming. Tell her to get in the car. Put Owen in the car and go home. She cries the entire time until we pull in the driveway and then stops. When I open her door she points out that "I stopped crying". I explain "You are still going to bed". She starts screaming again.

So, Caroline must have been tired because I have not heard her at all in the last almost two hours and Owen is now also napping. Of course my watch is still driving me crazy. Maybe we will try again this afternoon.

5 comments:

Mollypants said...

I know it's hard (especially when you WANTED to run the errand), but good job for standing the ground (even though I wouldn't know)...I can't imagine doing that and not completely blowing my lid off.
And if you've made it this far without that kind of incident, congratulations! I think my mom had to do that many times with us by the age of 3!
Out of curiosity, do they say it happens less with the 2nd child? Like would Owen learn from Caroline's experience or are they too young to absorb and relate to that?

Rebecca said...

Ugh...sorry about that. :( Sounds like you handled it really well though! We have not actually had to abandon an errand...YET...but we have threatened to leave restaurants many times when Zachary complains & whines relentlessly about wanting more chips or bread and we tell him no, or he changes his mind on what he wants after he's ordered and gets hysterical over it. Thankfully he usually straightens up when we threaten to leave - but I dread the day when we threaten to leave & actually have to follow through on it because he won't stop. It usually happens after we've ordered but before the food comes...

Mel said...

at least you followed through!! That is the important part...sort of how your mom has "that look" but had to reinforce it the first time with punishment!

Sorry about your watch!

Drena said...

You could always leave her in the car and run in to do your errand quickly.

J/k! :)

Carrie Davis said...

Awesome job!! I probably wouldn't have been able to keep my cool like that. My watchband broke too...so annoying...the little thingy that keeps the strap down broke.