So, the house next to us has officially sold and the new owners are tearing it down and building a massive ugly house. The lot is teeny, tiny and they are planning on an almost 4000 sq ft house and a two car garage with room above. It is not going to be pretty. He showed me the drawings and informed me "You're going to really love it. It will fit in great with the neighborhood." Did I mention it is Victorian in style? Our neighborhood is pretty much small bungalows and cottages. It does not fit in and is going to be awful. Oh, and although he is a developer and the market is slow he anticipates it taking till AT LEAST JUNE. The developer part is also why I doubt they are actually planning on living there. Pretty sure they will tell us that so we are nice and accommodating and then "plans will change" and they will sell it.
Anyways, the worse part is right now they have a tandem garage right on the property line. I love it! It is the perfect backdrop for my hydrangeas. It is taller then a fence, but not enormous and it makes my yard feel secluded even though neighbors are super close. They of course are taking this down (with less then two weeks notice from "my new neighbor"). So, now I am rushing to get quotes on a fence and realize we need to have trees trimmed up in order to be able to get in to do it, including like 10 Leland cypresses. So, after one of the fence guys come out this morning (and gives us a massive quote) my tree guy comes out this afternoon and says the cypresses are really diseased and we probably need to take them out. We knew they were a little diseased (it happens in the droughts), but had no idea until today when we went back with Gus. They look awful. He is calling tomorrow to give us the quote. Something tells me it is going to be quite high since we have to grind all the stumps too. Then we will have landscape over there.
Why is it that the house next door sells and it is costing me not only my beautiful yard but quite a bit of money? Gus did give me a bunch of tickets to the Greek Festival, but do not think that is going to make it even.
5 comments:
I think that it is funny that you have a "tree guy".....sorry about the neighbors though :-(
so sad, that garage is such a charm, I hate when people tear things down that were built in the 30's and 40's just because they want a McMansion in a more historic area. UGH! I hate it. It's like burning books or throwing away art to me. Somewhere out there, some guy who grew up in that house is losing his childhood.
do you have a HOA or neighborhood association you can complain to? Sometimes people will scale back if it means good neighbors.
What should I call him? Arborist just sounds too weird. And if you are laughing not at the name, but fact I have one, if you have big old trees, you have to have a tree guy. Fact.
Yes, the garage is a charm. No HOA or neighborhood assoc just zoning rules which I really think he is just barely going to get by some of them such as the setbacks and greenspace. We shall see. Not afraid to call code enforcement esp since I decided today he is not my neighbor until he actually moves in.
I think they actually call them Tree Surgeons. That makes me laugh a little. I used to insure one and I was like "do I call you doctor?"
Post a Comment