Friday, August 8, 2008

Outrageous weddings

I am curious when people feel weddings take the leap from "nice" to "over the top". We are invited to a wedding over Labor Day in Texas for an old friend of Matt's from college. They were not super close in college, but did hang out some when we were in Atlanta. Some of you may have even meet him (not sure on that though). We are not planning on attending since they really have not talked in the three plus years since we left Atlanta. Really know nothing about the girl except that this is going to probably be a pretty big, nice wedding. We googled her and her dad's a class action lawyer out of Houston. As the invitations have been arriving I keep thinking this is probably going to be a really good, fun party, until today. I understand a rehearsal dinner and obviously wedding reception and can even go for the next day send off brunch, but a wedding day lunch party???? Ugh. We went to one before that had a wedding day brunch and it was just too much. By the time we got to the wedding reception we were exhausted and tired of seeing all the same people again. Three large events in just over a day was just a lot of being together, esp when you throw in post rehearsal dinner bar event. The other wedding was amazing (her parents had a wedding fund from the day she was born) and we had to go since Matt was in the wedding having known both for years and introducing the two, but I am kind of glad this one is one we can get out of. Any thoughts on too much wedding fun or am I mean for being glad we have a pass out of this one.

2 comments:

Mollypants said...

I think the difference is in the motivation - if people are using their wedding to show off money, it just makes me want to puke. If they're say, spending a few extra bucks to make sure that all of the people they want to have there will be there and have a good time, then they've won my vote. I'm of the theory that when I finally get married, I'm going to do it at my parents' house, with food that everyone can eat, alcohol that everyone can drink, and a cake that I won't mind if it's tossed around the entire reception. At the end of the day, the wedding is REALLY important to two people, and to the rest it's just a party, so I'll just throw the party I'd really want to go to.
BTW - I'd kill you if you thought about bailing on MY wedding!

Mel said...

I agree with Molly! And, for my wedding it will also be a very fun party but with a wedding. I just don't care about flowers and centerpieces and decorations on the end of the pews. There is nothing wrong with those things and they look good at other people's weddings but I just don't care about them for my own. I would rather buy a plane ticket for a friend to fly in who couldn't afford it. I do want to wear the pretty dress though :-). I have been to a million weddings (either with photography or just because) and the ones that are more laid back with less frills are the ones where the b,g, and family seem to have more fun. If there is less to go wrong then less will go wrong...less is more :-). Who will remember the m&m's with your name on them? But everyone will remember a ggod band! The photog I work will STILL talks about the band Drena had and he has been to 100s of weddings!