Thursday, October 9, 2008

Sick to my stomach

Matt and I have been really bad parents. Really bad. One of the first things you are suppose to do when you have children is write an actual will. We have started to before, even got the paperwork from the lawyer, but never made the appointment. It all came up again when Matt decided to change life insurance and it came up that we needed the will done also. The life insurance part did not bother me that much. Matt asked how much I thought I would need assuming all the kids school was taken care of and I said enough to not worry. It was probably simplified because it was just money. Money is money. It is not really all that important.

Well, tomorrow we have are scheduled to meet with the attorney and write out all the personal stuff. Guessing later at some point we will need to actually go back and finalize it. We have had this scheduled for over a week, but are just now getting around to all the discussions. Yuck. Some things seem pretty obviously and not really all that important (executor, big deal). Some seem so major (living will and who decides enough is enough if the other is already gone, ewwww). I hate this stuff. I guess that is why we have put it off, but hopefully it will be a nice peace of mind to know that we have put our wishes into writing and taken care of Caroline and Owen.

Anything anyone else has been putting off that you should have done a long time ago?

3 comments:

Drena said...

We haven't done ours either, but also have the paperwork. I also have put off taking some of the property we own out of our personal name and into an LLC to protect us personally in case of any suit. I've been putting that off for a while because the all have to be in separate LLCs and they are costly to form.

Mollypants said...

my car was hit by an office depot truck while parked like three years ago. it's not noticable, and they're going to pay for it, but I've never gone and gotten an estimate to get it fixed. It just involves effort, and I've never done it.

Meredith said...

We have the papers to do ours but haven't done it yet either. It's hard to even think about!