Thursday, April 30, 2009

High expectations.

That is what I had for this morning. I know better, but could not help it. The one thing I have learned in the last four years it is to keep expectations extremely low and then everything either goes as expected or pleasantly well. Today I threw that out the window and planned on having a great morning at the golf tournament. We planned on taking Owen and even managed to talk Caroline into it to where she seemed excited to skip school to watch the golfers.

Everything started out great. We got lucky and had a parking pass so we got to park a little closer and take a quick little shuttle instead of a 30 min one. yea! We could not go to the hospitality tent that went with our tickets since anyone over 2 needed their own ticket - 12 and under get in free on an adult ticket, but the tents have different requirements. Not a big deal. This way we could walk and see lots more golfers. We got in and were able to see Sergio's group tee off, followed by Tiger. Then we cut across and saw Angel crossing in front of us. Pretty cool. Headed over to the green at 18 and as the group went by suddenly we had a ball landing right by us. One of the golfers (Will MacKenzie) threw it over for the kids. Sweet. We watched a bit longer at the green but both kids started running all over and Owen was getting dangerously close to the creek. We decided to sit in the bleachers for a few minutes and watch. Great view. The kids did not love it though. They kept going from seat to seat putting them up and down. Ugh. We decide it is time for ice cream - 10:57am. The kids get milkshakes and Matt and I get a beer and sit down at a table that overlooks the 18th green with the players exit right behind us. About 3 minutes later another ball (Vaughn Taylor) comes on over right to Caroline. Matt comments about 2 balls in less then an hour concerns him about Caroline in her teenage years.

Head over to try to see if we can see some of the afternoon hotties (Phil or Camilo) or our neighbor (Goggin) warming up on the putting green or driving range. Owen and Matt are done with their beverages, Caroline and I bring ours. Matt carries Owen, Caroline walks while drinking her milkshake and I try desperately to get her to ride comfortably in the stroller instead of walking so she does not run into anything. She refuses. I take her out with the front stroller wheel. She falls slow mo style sprawling on her way down. You can hear everyone gasping before she even hits the ground. I have to set my beer down before I can even pick her up. She is screaming at the golf course during rounds. I am so embrassed on so many levels cannot even begin (mommy drinking before 11:30, taking out the kid, kid screaming and barely bleeding, etc.). Time check 11:17. We have only been inside for a little over an hour. Calm her down some. Go over to putting green hoping it will calm her down - Phil's there!!!!!! Point him out to Caroline (much slimmer then on tv). She stops crying for a minute. Then starts whimpering again. ugh. Decide it is time to go. Walk back out trying to keep her from screaming the entire time as we walk back by the other holes and driving range. It was awful.

Now I am back home and Matt is back at the tournament enjoying more beer and beautiful weather with one of his friends. Next year, the kids are staying home and we will hopefully make it out at least one day if not more. Really hoping we can be in town for the whole thing next year. It seems the first weekend of May is always busy for us.

3 comments:

Meredith said...

SO JEALOUS that you even went for a little while!!! Sorry it didn't pan out too well for you.

Rebecca said...

We are a Phil house too! (Well, Zachary's & my favorite is Phil - Josh's fave is Padraig - but Phil is a close 2nd for him). That is fun that you got to see him!

Drena said...

I think I would have sent them to school and over to a friend's house afterward!! :) Kinda like when people ask me if I am bringing Oliver to a UGA tailgate....ummm, NO.