Monday, January 5, 2009

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.....

As much as I love Christmas, I really love routine. Today has been great! We are finally back in the swing of things. Got up at the normal time, took a shower, made lunches for the kids, took the kids to school, ran errands, got kids, came home, played, and now - quiet time! Going to try to make a decent dinner tonight while playing and listening to music with Caroline and Owen. Does not get much better.

Almost time to sign up for preschool next year and found out that they are getting rid of one of the class options - the one Caroline is in right now (MWTHF). Had been planning on sending Caroline and Owen the same days they are going this year again next year. Obviously that is not going to happen. My options are now to send Caroline four days (M-Th) and Owen Tu-Th or Caroline all five days and Owen MWF. Having trouble deciding. Was pretty sure we would do Caroline five days and Owen MWF, but starting to wonder if that is too much. I know she loves school and she keeps telling me she wants to go every day now, so I will probably do that. But then there is a part of me that does not want her to grow up too quick. Yuck. Only a few more weeks to decide and then no going back.

So, for New Year's I have decided not to really have a resolution, but instead try to refocus on my list of goals and eat more fruits and veggies (aka salads!). We have good fruit around all the time, but they like it so much I always try to "save" it for the kids so we don't run out before I make it to the store again. So, now I am buying lots of fruit and lettuce. Doing pretty good on the salad and have several dressing that we like that I am trying to keep on hand and making sure we have the ingredients for a few I want to try. Need help here though - anyone have a salad dressing (or several) that you really love? Can be already made or if you have a recipe I'll take that too. Hopefully new dressings to try will help me stay on track of this one.

4 comments:

Carrie Davis said...

I'm with you, I was pretty pumped to get back into a routine. As much as I loved all of the time with Charlotte..it is nice to have a routine back

Mel said...

I struggle with buying salad dressings...it seems like the 500 calorie ones in the restaurants are so much better.

I do love just balsamic vinegar with a touch of olive oil....the oil is good fat and the vinegar is a little tang, plus it never goes bad (don't read my post on expirations :-)) and it is simple....other than that, the ranch at Outback is awesome and I think there are recipes online, I can look for you....I think it is basically ranch (maybe try low fat) mixed with taco seasoning and some chili powder or something...man, am I helpful! Sorry, I will look!

Rebecca said...

A friend of ours made a salad at our house once when they came over for dinner - it was very simple, and very tasty. Just take your salad (whatever you want in it). Add just enough olive oil to coat the lettuce (it doesn't take much). Toss it around. Then add enough red wine vinegar until it tastes good (also don't need too much, unless you like it really tangy!). Then she also tossed in some seasoned bread crumbs (again, to your taste) - I assume it's a healthier variation on croutons? Or maybe it keeps the vinegar from just running off to the bottom of the bowl...who knows. Anyway, simple & yummy!

Drena said...

At home I do what Melissa said with Oliver Oil and Balsamic Vinegar.