Just started Time Traveler's Wife. Pretty good so far, but really only fifty pages in which is not enough to have a full opinion. Did finish Old Cape Magic that I mentioned before and it was not too bad, typical of Richard Russo. Character study and how as time goes on he realizes his perspective is not the only one and possibly not anywhere near the truth, very Empire Falls.
The Help is still my favorite so far of the summer. Charlotte Simmons was also pretty good. Between, Georgia and The Girl Who Stopped Swimming were okay, but pretty fluffy. Revolutionary Road was an interesting look at life. Firefly Lane, Belong to Me and Friday Night Knitting Club were all pretty fluffy (and had a very common and overused plot element), with Friday Night Knitting Club being the best of the bunch.
That would be the quick review of my July and August reading. If you have further questions (or want to borrow a book, I have all but Girl Who Stopped Swimming which I borrowed) just ask. Do not want to give too much plot information away.
I do have a question though. Current book (Time Traveler's Wife) and last (Old Cape Magic) both mentioned another book - Naked Lunch. Have never heard of it before and now two in a row have made reference to it. Curious if anyone has read it and if so what your opinion was (sounds like a pretty polarizing book so assume everyone who has read it has some definite thoughts).
Last literary test - did anyone know that Pat Conroy and Cassandra King were married? Had no clue until I read it in the paper this morning.
2 comments:
For some reason I thought you read Time Traveler's Wife a long time ago. Let me know how you like it when you are done...hopefully it is better than My Sister's Keeper (thanks Erin!) which was actually good till the last few pages. You have read a TON this summer, I am jealous...I got into that stupid Twilight series that I have a love-hate relationship with. I think that it is utterly cheesy but I need to know how it ends now..I am halfway through the last book...other than that I read nutrition books so nothing to exciting there (though I would recommend In Defense of Food).
Ok, sorry, to your point, yes, I have heard of Naked Lunch but I haven't read it...I feel like someone we know has though so hopefully someone will reply.....
I'm reading "The Elegence of the Hedgehog" right now. It's really good...translated from a french novel that was a HUGE seller there. It's about a woman who's a concierge at a fancy Paris apartment building who makes friends with a little girl in the building, and no one notices that both of them are really like genius-smart. Hard to explain, but really good and very different from anything I've read!
Post a Comment