That is the way I feel right now - and maybe just a little irritated. As most of you know we have tons of kids not only on our street, but also in the neighborhood (we live a few streets over from a park). The problem is somehow some people I do not even know have invited me to join a playgroup for little ones (the apparent goal is the 2-3 year range) and some how only one other girl I am actually friends with is on the list (who I see the connection with since she knows one of the organizers). No one else. It is just odd. The only reason I could come up with for my name being mentioned is one of the organizers husband was laid off from the "other" bank in town and has contacted Matt to see if he knows of anything anywhere.
Anyways, the reason I am really uncomfortable (and I know this is going to sound really bad) is I just do not want to go. We already have a bunch of friends right on our street (this is a hodge podge of several surrounding streets) and we are just too busy. They had a get together last month and I politely declined (although Matt told me to just ignore it) by just saying I would not attend - NO explanation or thanks for inviting me please keep me on the list. Now they have sent out an email with monthly dates for playdates and are asking people to pick one and plan something for everyone to do. Matt thinks the only way to get out of it without being really mean is to just ignore, ignore, ignore and do not respond to anything. I think that could be borderline mean and I do not want to seem harsh because I am sure at some point I will be running into/meeting these other moms at the park or around town.
The reason I am irritated? I still do not understand why they have included me, but not all sorts of other people that fall into the parameters of this group. I do not know any of them (although I am sure they are very nice), but they are making me uncomfortable by putting me in a position where I have to figure out a nice way to say "no thank you. I am sure you are very nice, but do not want to hang out with you." Pretty sure there is never a nice way to say that.
Any suggestions?
3 comments:
How about you just politely thank the organizer for including you but that things are just very busy right now, and you're just not sure you want to get involved in another playgroup, but that you hope they have fun. And then just smile & wave if you see them at the park. I would think she would understand that.
I was about to comment and read Rebecca's... TOTALLY what I was going to say to do... Guess great minds think alike... :)
I could see both sides...on one hand, I'm like you - I'd much rather have a small, tight-knit group of friends than a huge mass of people I never know if I blew them off or not. Then again, I barely know anyone in this city, so I'm a little jealous of the invitation! I would agree though - just say you'd love to drop in if you have the time, but can't commit to something on an ongoing basis. I go running by that exact park though and will have to take a water stop more often to witness the politics...I had no idea it was planned out like that in some cases!
Post a Comment