Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Warning - Lesson learned

Do not take Zyrtec D (and maybe any of that stuff behind the counter) at night. Took one Sunday night around 9:30. Stayed awake until about 4am. Not just awake, but wired. Could not stop my mind from racing. Asked the pharmacist about it and as soon as I said I took one at night his eyes got wide and he kind of laughed. He suggested I continue taking my 24 hour regular Zyrtec at night and the 12 hour in the morning. Does not really seem right to stack the medicine like that so I am now just taking the D in the morning and Benadyrl at night. It worked last night. Did not wake up once and almost overslept and missed my run this morning (yes, back to trying to run in the morning). So not feeling great, but realized it is just sinuses (thought it was Caroline's cold of last week).

Had a great weekend. My favorite parts were dinner with Molly and Dan and all the great weather. Think the kids favorite part was going and cheering on some half marathoners and the nice weather. Caroline is still talking about watching the runners and cheering them on. We walked over to part of the race route and were right at the 10 mile point. It was pretty funny to watch the kids cheering for them and holding up signs. One of our neighbors' brother was running with his girlfriend so the kids made posters for them. It was amazing and inspiring to see these runners. The neighbors brother and girlfriend are like freaky good runners and usually pretty much keep a 6 minute pace. Yikes. They also like to go out and do those super longer then marathon runs - at their 6 minute pace. Ummm, yeah right. So we watched the first runners come by. They were quick and it was uphill at our point. They were also super sweet. They would say thanks to the kids and give them high fives as they went past. A few even came back if they missed one of their little hands. And these were the front of the pack people. It was so nice. Guess I was super surprised because when I get going I am not stopping I cannot restart and going up this hill there would be no talking from me. Totally out of breath. These people pulling 6 minute miles up a hill and telling the kids thanks and slowing down to give high fives. Amazing.

Got to go retrieve Caroline from next door. One of her friends from the street over is coming over to play in a few minutes.

Hope everyone is having a good week and loving all this nice weather!

5 comments:

Mel said...

Sweet! I always like seeing the kiddos at the races cheering us on and I give them high fives...of course at my 20 min pace, it is not as big of a deal :-)

Funny about the Zyrtex D...even more funny is that I used to take Allegra D at Craig's and it never made it to where I couldn't sleep ....HA!

Mollypants said...

6 minute miles! Yikes, that's like a full sprint for me, I don't think I could run half of a 6-minute mile. I'm aiming for 10 minute miles and I'm huffing and puffing on just 3 at a time. I would say to come run with me, but I'm a) slow and b) not good in the early morning. I'm going to have to get up and run in the morning come summer to beat the heat, and I'm SO not looking forward to it. I'm going to be building toward the marathon in late October though - you're welcome to join whenever you want!

m said...

It was fast! We got to the 10 mile mark 50 minutes after the race start time and saw the first people go by - they had already done 10 miles in 50 minutes!!!!!!!!! It would have taken me almost two hours to get that far and these people looked like they were still in total control. Also unlike me. May take you up on your offer to run together. Maybe we could try meeting up for a Saturday morning run sometime? Too hard to get up and out earlier then 6:30 for my weekday runs so I'll probably have to keep those around here. Although your 10 minute miles are a little faster then me, I am more like 11, but did get down to 5 in 53 minutes for awhile.

Mollypants said...

I'm actually around an 11 for long ones now as well - I can do 10's for 3, but I end up walking a tenth or so every three miles. I'd rather build endurance than speed, so I bumped it back to 11. I'm also trying to KEEP a pace, regardless of what it is, which is, as you know, harder than it sounds. Yeah, let's definitely do the weekend runs sometime...I do the weekend ones slow anyway. I'm holding off on morning runs anyway for now - bees are out already and I'm highly allergic, so I wouldn't want to chance forgetting my epi-pen in a half-asleep state and getting stung, esp since they're worst in the AM...I figure if I have to run in the morning, I'll do it at the gym. I run on that really long stretch on the Plaza near Central for now and in the little chain-of-parks I told you about, but once the mileage starts increasing more, I need to find a few longer runs, so definitely give me some ideas!
BTW...10 miles in 50 min - that's insane. Just remember - in just the last century, it was generally thought that the human body - ANY human - would never be able to get below a 4 minute mile. That's only a minute faster, and most considered it as physically impossible.

Mel said...

I wish I lived near you guys so I could run with you....I am about your pace and everyone I know runs faster so I get disappointed. 10-11 mins is a doable pace for me once I start training!