I am officially leading the neighborhood bracket pool. Not by a point or two, but after yesterday, quite a few. DISCLAIMER - I am not saying I will win in the end, anything can and probably will happen meaning someone will come from behind and steal all my thunder. All of that is besides the point. I am actually winning right now. So, you may be wondering how I ended up having a perfect day yesterday by picking every game right. Throughout most the games (at least early round) I play it pretty safe and usually pick the higher seed. Usually I'll try for at least one 5 over 12 seed (this year I picked Arizona and Western Kentucky - really Utah and basketball? and Illinois tends to be overrated especially when playing a school from a state that LOVES basketball). Then I have to go more with basic knowledge and gut feels. So what thought and basic analysis went into calling last nights upsets?
Well, Duke has not preformed well the last several tournaments and finally had to leave almost home court Greensboro. They were also playing a Catholic college. It felt pretty obvious to me that Villanova would come out on top. The other (Memphis v Missouri) required actual field knowledge. Missouri is a State that has put out some incredibly talented individuals (obviously). Tiger is a way cool mascot, they have Harpo's and a very hot coach (which Matt informed me today was pushed out quite a while ago when I explained my picks to him). Memphis? Well, really, everyone always says they have a strong team, but how in the world can the armpit of the south really produce a championship level team. Anyone who wants to counter the argument of armpit of the south, please make sure you have visited there in the summer. Yuck. It is actually pretty gross year round, but the summer is super gross and the city really has nothing to offer. Always thought the "nice part" was somewhere else until I realized I had been all over it and it really just did not exist. It was another no brainer.
Any questions? Let me know.
In other news, pretty much ready for Owen's little get together with the kids on the street this afternoon. Did not want to do a huge party yet (we can start that next year). So, made cupcakes, have wine, cheese and crackers, and chips and dip. Thinking I will put out a bowl of goldfish since they are Owen's favorite. Hopefully, that will be good. Also, hoping to get drapes hung tonight. Did not quite happen last night. Did change out pillow covers and they look great. Also took Owen for a haircut this morning. He did really good and even sat way up high. We take him to a barber shop and the guy has a little kid sized version of the big chair that sits on the handles of the big chair. I was a little worried, but he did not cry at all. He even smiled some. The barber is really nice which helps a lot!
Other then that just hoping to watch a movie or two with all this rainy weather. Did not mention it, but saw The Boy in the Striped Pajamas last week and it was amazing. Unbelievable how much you find yourself just totally caught up in it. Unreal. Highly recommend if you are looking for something really thought provoking. Not so much for laughs.
Hope everyone stays dry and safe this weekend!
3 comments:
oooh, so you liked the Boy in the Striped Pajamas??? I really want to see it!
Yay for leading the brackets!
As an Elvis fan, I do have to stand up for Memphis - it did produce the King! Owen's getting so big, feels like just yesterday when I was coaching him on walking, now he's almost 2!
Hmmm...you lost me at "bracket"...Glad you are in the lead though! Hope Owen's party went well!
Post a Comment