Tuesday, March 9, 2010

One with Nature?

Last night was watching the news (not really the news, but the fox version of tmz after the 10pm news - FOX news edge) and they did a story on Jack Nicholson and his raccoon problem. The host, Brother Fred (aka Bro Fro) stated he could never urinate in public because he gets stage fright. I obviously asked Matt if he THOUGHT he would get stage fright. He responded he could basically go no problem anywhere. HUH? This of course caught me surprise and I asked him how he could be so sure. (After all, how often could he really be trying out this theory of using nature at his whim? Not common for me to use the great outdoors as a public facility and assumed the same was true for males.) He said he knew it was not a problem. So, I probed further and asked him when was the last time he had tested his theory. (Thinking if he had to name a specific instance he would draw a blank and admit he did not know.) His answer? Playing golf. ????? Surely he had to be joking. NO. He was adamant that it is common for males to go in the woods and relieve themselves - after all "where else would you go on a course?" SERIOUSLY? I had to remind him I have played a few time and that there are restrooms on the course and I have never seen someone do that before. He explained it is really not enough and of course males would never use this option when playing with a female, but overall it is actually really common and at least once a round someone in a foursome does.

I am still in total disbelief that a) this happens and men use golf courses as urinals and b) what else to boys do in male only groups that they would not think to do in a coed group. Please let me know if I am the only one who did not know this was common practice. Also, what else do you think guys do when girls are not around?

Not much going on here. Owen got a cold over the weekend and missed school yesterday (no school today). Yesterday he gave the cold to Caroline and me. So, today Caroline missed school and we have all been home. Owen bouncing off the walls and Caroline and me feeling not too great. They have been good, but have some things I would really like to get done (like invitations for Owen's birthday party that I have been way late in organizing) that would be much easier not doing with them. Also, missed pilates on Monday and would really like to go tomorrow. Not sure it is going to happen though.

Trying to end on a high note - Matt is going out of town tonight (low), but if Molly is not afraid of my sick house she is coming over to watch Precious tonight (high)!

4 comments:

Drena said...

my dad is an outdoor pee-er so I'm not surprised by this, but I couldn't really see Adam doing it.

Btw, I haven't read your Big Love post b/c I am 3 episodes behind. I'll read it after I have caught up. I freaked out when I read the title and clicked off the blog as soon as possible! :)

Mel said...

not at all lying. I saw a ton of guys do it (from a distance). How else would they get rid of the beer they are drinking? A round can take hours!!

I don't think we should ask what else they do when we are not around.

m said...

Drena- I could not see Matt doing it and pretty sure that is why I am still in such shock. Would understand if he was like some guys do that, but he acts like EVERY guy does it and keeps saying it is not a big deal. (It came up again last night on the phone.) If you get the chance would love to know if Adam ever does (esp since you cannot see him doing it).

Melissa- Where were you golfing? Did the people you were with do it in front of you? Have played quite a few times (keeping the beer girl busy) and never seen a guy do this (or someone from another group over in the woods). I know golf takes a while, but dealt with the discomfort of several beers until we hit a bathroom on course or ran in at the turn.

Rebecca said...

I'm fairly certain Josh has probably done this before. I've never personally witnessed it, but seems like he has mentioned doing this before (on the golf course). I think it probably is way more common than you would think it is. Even last year during the 3-year-old t-ball games, whenever one of the boys had to go, the dads would just take them over to the fence to relieve themselves. It was a school playground for pete's sake! They are like animals.