Nothing too out of the ordinary has been going on around here. Standard summer fare - kids had camp, lemonade stand, birthday parties, cookouts, etc. Really not too much to blog on. At times over the last few weeks I have considered not blogging anymore (sorry).
We just got back from almost a week out of town visiting family. We had a wonderful time doing lots of activities and visiting Matt's parents. Caroline and Owen adore Bruce and Suzie and with good reason. Bruce and Suzie play and listen to everything the kids say and Caroline and Owen get so excited every time Bruce or Suzie walk in the room. (I thought Matt received warm welcomes when he got home at night, Bruce beat him hands down.) It was great to see and I am overwhelmed that my children are able to have this relationship with their grandparents. We are all lucky to have such fun, loving and caring people in our lives. My only regret is that we are not able to see them more often.
On the way back we were lucky enough to stop in Durham for ice cream with Uncle Drew (who is now living on the west coast). The kids gave Uncle Drew their usual excited screams as soon as they saw him (fortunately for all other cars nearby the windows were still up). It was really great to see him and the kids loved it - they kept moving chairs closer and closer to him. Then (and I do appreciate this) he let me know I have some new readers. I do not mind this at all. The only reason I have not shared this blog with more people is because it really did just start as something fun to do with some of my friends from college (you know who you are and helped me name it - even if this title was my second choice!). As all seven of my original readers know, I am really a pretty straightforward, laid back person. If you have read most of my posts I try not to take anything too seriously or personally. Even with Sears.
Anyways, I bring all of this up because apparently a post from over a year ago (May 17, 2008) has upset some people. In it I say that morning we went and visited some nieces while my mother in law was in town and babysitting for the weekend and -
"Caroline and Owen had a good time, but we watched Emma and Sara complain about not knowing what to play and wanting to watch tv. I felt a little bad for Suzie. "
As most of you with children are aware, kids can be cranky in the morning especially when their parents are gone and routines are off. If you know my mother in law at all (or probably most grandparents for that matter) they hate to see their grandchildren unhappy. She was trying everything to get all the grandkids to play together and some were not feeling it (for lack of a better term). This is what is referenced by feeling bad for Suzie. Nothing more.
This really did hurt my feelings that someone who obviously does not know me very well would misread something from more then a year ago and instead of confronting me (or even Matt for that matter) bring up to many other people and discuss in a very public forum and then decide to cut any communication with me. I have very low expectations of the relationship improving (pretty difficult when people run instead of discuss). I think perhaps there must be some other issues because it is pretty extreme behavior over something so little as one comment in almost 200 posts. I guess if you are looking for something and you look hard enough you find it somewhere.
As everyone who really does know me if you have a question/problem then ask. I am for the most part (except this afternoon) a very happy person who looks for the good in everyone, perhaps to a fault as I assume others do the same. Apparently not.
Thanks for letting me vent. This has really bothered me all afternoon and now I feel much better. (I feel like Drena from a while back!) Maybe I really do still need this whole blog thing after all. I will try to do better with my posting from here on out. I have several in mind including an emotional one on The Parent Trap and Matt (which he grudgingly has approved the topic).
One last thing - I think we discussed what happens when you "unfriend" someone on facebook (or maybe that was one of our side email discussions). No notice is sent to either one of you, but you just stop getting all their updates!
4 comments:
Glad to see you back to blogging Meghan! I've missed your updates :) And am glad you're going to keep on blogging...
keep writing lady!
yay, you are back. I got scared with the title.
Sucks that you are upset but if anyone has any doubt that they can say whatever they want to you then they should read our political posts :-)
And, sadly, you can't please everybody so please yourself (at least in this instance).
I don't think your comment from over a year ago was out of line. I think the offended reader must just be overly sensitive. Maybe with time they will calm down and realize they overreacted. Either way, I wouldn't waste too much energy thinking about it b/c I believe you did nothing wrong and your intentions were not to offend. I do think they must have been looking for a reason to get upset and are a little obsessed with you if they read almost 200 posts. Or maybe they just need more to do in their life.
Keep your head up and keep typing and living!
Post a Comment